Sunday, March 15, 2009

Howling

This is the only photo that I took while chilling in the parking prior to a full moon journey in the Uintas on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. My photography skills are extremely weak making it next to impossible to get any kind of blog worthy photos while skiing at night. Anyway, I don't think any photo would do full moon skiing any justice.

Since discovering the joys of full moon skiing a few years ago, I have become a fan. I have been able to get out on numerous full moon expeditions, including three nights last season. This year all the full moons had fallen on storm nights and I was beginning to think it wasn’t meant to be.
The month of March proved to be different. With a couple of feet falling the day before the full moon and a clear night forecasted, I knew it was on. I got the call from Stoy “ Hey, Full Moon in the Uintas, you in?” “Hell Yeah!”

Alex was able to rally a crew of 10, almost unheard of if you ask me. We had a relaxed skin up with multiple breaks to have a few drinks of whiskey, wine, and beer. Then skied an amazing shot with perfect creamy powder, made even better with the beautiful moonlight. It was so good we had to go for seconds. The out was interesting to say the least, a stout zipper crust, made for a couple miles of snow plowing. Made it back to the trailhead by 1 a.m. and was in bed by 2:30 a.m. and then up at 6:30 a.m. for work. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open at work, but couldn’t wipe the smile off my face from such an epic night.

No comments:

Post a Comment